Thursday 5 March 2015

Christian vs. Campus


After graduating grade 12, I felt on top of the world, ready to take on the next big step in my life… University.

I had been told many times by many different people “it will be difficult to deal with the worldly culture around you” and “do your best to stay firm in your faith no matter what” but I never realized the true struggles I would soon face.

  1. Struggle of Surroundings

The first few months of University were very difficult. I hadn’t yet connected with any Christian friends or gotten involved in any Christian groups as I was often busy in the evenings with the women’s Hockey team. During the day my friends and I would go to Walmart, or Target, or even Tim Hortons, simply to fill time. Given this, I wasn’t focused on God as much as I should’ve been. It is extremely difficult when you get involved with a group of friends who is not evenly yoked with you. They often have different morals and expectations. Involving yourself with non-christian friends, without also surrounding yourself with strong Christian examples too, creates a very worldly focus in your head which leaves so much room for doubt to enter in.

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world...For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof, but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever."  I John 2:15-17

2. Struggle of Courses

The first semester of my very first year I took a course called "Intro to Biology, Anthropology and Archeology." This course description was, "A general introduction to biological anthropology and archeology. The course covers topics ranging from the biological origin of humans, the appearance of human culture, and the rise of civilization."

My mom and I though it would be a great beginning course as it also met m science requirements for year one. Little did I know that it would soon become a spiritual challenge for me. I was learning al about evolution, when and how animals developed and in what era particular culture crossed over to other areas of the world.

Everything I was learning was the opposite off what the Bible tells us.

Everyday I was learning these facts, studying them and memorizing them. I knew they were untrue and unsupported but, those are the times when Satan plays with your thoughts most. I was struggling to understand and support the Bible while I was demanded to support evolution throughout this course.

“All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness” 2 Timothy 3:16

  1. Struggle to find time to read the Bible

In University you often are given a extreme amount of course readings, assignments, and exams. Since teaching is my future ambition and my future career, it is important that I work hard in school to succeed. This most definitely took away from my time in the Word of God. I was finding myself secluding myself with school work or socializing with others. I struggled to find a balance and time during the day to be in God’s word.

“This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.” Joshua 1:8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, this year has been much different. God has blessed me in so many ways. I have developed amazing Christian friends and been very involved in the local church. God comes first over all else and God has been blessing me through that. Determine your priorities before heading into society on your own, it can be very easy to fall out of routine without mom and dad reminding you!

“But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” Matthew 6:33

Sending Love,
Madison Mae


1 comment: