Monday 19 January 2015

Fearing God






I asked myself recently “Why exactly is it good to Fear God? After studying the proverbs verse “To fear God means to hate evil” the other night, I became extremely confused. My immediate reaction was that it seemed as though Solomon was explaining if you hate bad things in this world then THAT’S RIGHT! You are fearing God. But if I hate bad things, why does that mean I fear God? Wouldn’t I be loving God, because that what he wants from each one of his children? To hate all evil and purposeful wrongdoing in the world?


It’s not quite that simple.


I had to search extremely hard for this answer, seeking biblical evidence and occasionally other Christians personal views; what I discovered is this:


"The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate." Proverbs 8:13


“Fearing God is good because it saves us from caving into our own sinful nature.”
-Christianity Today


Now, as easy as that sounds... fearing God is far from easy.


The world has set so many wrong and immoral standards for each child, teenager, and adult. They expect us, all humans, to do things we would not regularly do, Christian or not. Being completely endorsed in the world everyday can often catch up with you too. To step back and look at this crooked world as it is and say, I DO NOT like that evil buzzing over everyone’s heads, the evil that with one simple decision can change a person completely. The evil that with one slight grasp can pull someone in the opposite direction to which they were headed, takes unfathomable strength and courage.


I love God and all his power therefore I chose to not involve myself in that evil because I do not want to disappoint God and I fear his wrath if I did partake in Evil, that is fearing God. With regular routine and accountability this can become generously easier with time, but always a challenge because of our sinful nature. Fearing God is good, I believe it is a crucial step in finding your identity in Christ.


I admire these people.


Sending Love,
Madison Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment